From my own perspective these reverse board slip cases have become a visual shorthand for the releases and I now recognise the one by Martyn as green, Buraka Som Sistema as yellow, Filthy Dukes as orange, etc. I decided to use Fabric's logo to devise an alternative code system that would work together visually in some way yet rely on a more complex form for recognition.
The dogtooth image Fabric uses immediately presents an opportunity for it to be used in a number of alternative ways as a tesselated pattern. Subsequently I created a few alternatives that would then be used in conjuntion with a circular form [owing to the fact that there is a relationship between the circle and the music format]. The idea is that these lightweight card options - perfect for mailing as part of a membership series - are issued with their respective download links as decorative objects. Alligned, multiples make up further shapes (that are dependent on their number and order) that I felt were almost sci-fi in their approximation of a representation of music. In fact one of the kids I was working with thought that it looked like the Death Star from Star Wars which I'm sure has something to do with the created illusion of a sphere.

No comments:
Post a Comment