07/09/2010

Ghosty 'Hauntology Collection' etching

'Immortal Melodies' [see last post] has temporarily avoided death by laser as I've been busy getting to grips with the etching capabilities of the machinery.

I had already created the various files I needed and saved them as jpegs. One was a variation on Ghostly International's logo that brought in a Victorian/Gothic Revival (or maybe slightly occult) aspect. The aesthetic idea came after considering this 'Hauntology' topic while also wanting something that would be a contrast to both the digital method of production and the smooth plastic.

The text might not be to everyone's taste as it does do the whole Brody-esque, 'blur' filter thing but I wanted to have a title that looked like it was an apparition. It was also a serif font before processes drained all the life out of it. I was also keen to use these as 'objects' - to collect as 'visual anchors' for digital re-release projects - rather than as playable media. Subsequently I lasered the vinyl grooves on the 10" format so that it would be decorative rather than functional.

It took a while to figure out the best settings for materials (this is evident in the final image) but I went on to try out a few more experiments which I'll document later.





No comments:

Post a Comment