I've been posting a selection of desirable design for music that plays on notions of collectability but, before going too far down a nostalgia route and forgetting the rationale for what I want to do, I'm posting this video as a quick reminder.
I had already considered the idea of an 'unplayable' music format that links with the Matthew Dear 'Totem' and the Scion booklet. I suggested etched discs or CDs printed on both sides with the packaging for these containing the download links. The product itself would be a physical collectable.
I'm still interested in exploring these over coming weeks. However, I was just considering the whole 'circular' format of CDs and vinyl and wondered about replacing these with other circular items. I was just thinking about whether a 5 inch buzz saw blade that was packaged as a CD might be an interesting and provocative 'object'. Only there's this concept of potential format destruction that I'm toying with [although some of the ideas hinge on the availability of specific machinery/facilities] and this kind of hazardous emblem might work within that. But it's just one idea.
Anyway, the video here ironically demonstrates my proposed circular unplayable music format actually being played.
No comments:
Post a Comment